This recipe is a variation on the classic basil pesto which is traditionally made from a combination of garlic, basil, pine nuts, parmesan cheese and olive oil. We substitute garlic scapes for the basil and garlic. In addition we substitute fortified nutritional yeast for the parmesan cheese, making this a plant-based, vegan friendly variation. It is super delicious!
Garlic Scape Pesto (Plant-based)
10 Garlic Scapes 154g
1/3 C Walnuts 30g
2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast 12g
1/2 Lemon juiced
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/3 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil 73g
- Trim the garlic scapes by cutting just below the bulb. Discard the bulb/tip and cut the scapes in about 1" pieces.
- In a food processor, add the scapes, walnuts, yeast, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process by pulsing until the mixture begins to break down. Scrape the bowl down.
- With the processor running, slowly add all the olive oil. Continue to process until all the ingredients are incorporated and broken down, about 30-45 seconds, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Store in a covered container in the fridge and enjoy within a week. Also, you can freeze the pesto in a jar or in an ice-cube tray. Once frozen, in the ice-cube tray, remove and place in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
- You can most likely use about half as much olive oil as this recipe calls for. I only add as much as needed. Remember, each tbs of oil adds about 140 calories. Oil is calorically dense and not nutritionally dense, even though it is olive oil and has some healthy properties.